Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Kids, Discovery Channel, Discovery Home and Health, Discovery Turbo, ID, TLC, Animal Planet, Food Network and seeks a smart, highly motivated individual to join the high volume, fast-paced Business and Legal Affairs Department servicing the Brazilian Territory. This individual will report into the Vice President Legal and Business Affairs with handling television program acquisitions, production, and other related matters.
More specific, the Senior Manager, Business & Legal Affairs will be responsible for independently handling deal negotiations and the drafting and review of agreements for the development, production, coproductions, acquisitions programming, including the agreements for lead and supporting talent (e.g., hosts, experts, narrators, families, celebrities, etc.) across Discovery’s networks in Brazil, including provide advice on content-related legal issues for a wide variety of production and programming transactions and will be responsible for handling ongoing deal management responsibilities
1. Assume responsibility for project/deal negotiations and preparation of documentation for developing, producing, financing, and/or acquiring television programming for Discovery’s networks, including business models that are in according to the local legislation and regulation;
2. Independently draft, review and negotiate development, commission, co-production, acquisition, music and other various types of agreements using and adapting to local regulation Discovery’s contract forms;
3. Negotiate and draft all terms of a variety of talent deals including, but not limited to, series deals, pilot-to-series deals, test-option deals, holding deals, ad sales talent integration deals, brand influencer deals, licensing deals, event releases, and overall services agreements with business and legal terms including exploitation and promotional rights, exclusivity, options, back-end participation, endorsement services, and all other applicable talent deal terms customary to the entertainment industry.
4. Advise and support Discovery executives and internal business units (including ad sales, standards and practices, digital, marketing, production management, consumer products/licensing and publicity on program production and key talent business and legal issues;
5. Assume accountability for deals under tight timelines while acquiring appropriate rights within parameters
6. Liaise with internal network and corporate business unit clients and outside companies to negotiate and execute agreements related to programming
* At least 7 years’ experience working in-house in the business affairs or legal department of an entertainment company or law firm specialized in copyright and entertainment business;
* Knowledge of audiovisual industry, talent agreements and/or cable industry required;
* Knowledge of copyright laws, privacy, press and related laws;
* Knowledge of the Brazilian regulation for audiovisual and pay tv business;
* Excellent drafting and negotiating skills;
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and oral communication skills;
* Team player;
* ‘Owns’ tasks, proactively moves matters on, seeking instructions and taking matters to conclusion without being prompted;
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
* Ability to handle high volume of work and multi-task a variety of assignments, as well as recognize priorities and manage time effectively to meet deadlines;
* Ability to function on an independent basis;
* Working knowledge of television business and general entertainment industry experience;
* Working knowledge of program productions, talent and acquisitions agreements;
* Creative, business-friendly approach to problem solving and the ability to provide high-quality legal support in a fast-paced environment are vital.
* Relationships with entertainment attorneys, producers, talent agents, talent managers and talent publicists along with a working knowledge of union and guild issues a plus;
* Working knowledge of production related issues and experience in production related agreements preferred;
* Proactive, creative, business-minded approach to anticipating and solving legal and commercial issues and excellent legal judgement;
* self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, manage projects, and offer a high level of customer service in a fast-paced environment.
* Excellent computer skills a must (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point);
* Brazilian Bar;
* Strong academic credentials;