An exciting opportunity for a Broadcast Contribution Specialist has been created with Discovery to drive the delivery of premium sports content for Eurosport and Discovery channels across the globe. Working primarily on delivering the Olympics into Europe but also all other major rights the role is key to the success of high profile projects and offers the opportunity to work with some of the best sports professionals in the business.
Distribution Engineering is a small team of engineers located at Discovery House Chiswick whose responsibilities encompass the aggregation and distribution of linear TV services to affiliate broadcasters across the EMEA region for all Discovery and Eurosport brands. The department is also responsible for Contribution across the group into and between key sites both for business as usual operations and major live events.
The primary purpose of the position is to specify, build and where necessary run the contribution platforms needed to deliver Discovery’s expanding portfolio of Sports rights. Working with existing systems and designing new ones the role demands strategic thinking, determination and the ability to champion new technologies and workflows where appropriate at senior levels.
Working closely with the Olympic team the Contribution Projects Engineer will primarily focus on delivering the Tokyo Summer Olympics into Europe and will play a key role in the technology choices and workflow design. In order to do so the role requires close co-operation with home based teams across Europe and an in depth understanding of the technical situation at each site
A key part of the Olympics role is advising on, designing and specifying international connectivity into the Discovery Core Network with appropriate routing and resilience, therefore experience with international high bandwidth TV service delivery would be an advantage.
The position is based in Chiswick Park with European travel expected and Global travel likely.
The role requires broad experience across Broadcast disciplines, knowledge of existing and new compression formats and a deep understanding of Multicast IP.
• Manage, maintain and configure contribution compression systems located at Discovery and Eurosport’s, various locations.
• Champion the benefits of a Contribution network to all relevant parts of the business
• Liaise with the Olympic and other internal project teams to deliver on future projects and services, and manage changes to existing systems.
• Manage third party suppliers and their implementation of projects and upgrades on our behalf, ensuring requirements are clear, SLAs are met and adhered to and risk mitigated.
• Evaluate and assess new technologies and equipment.
• Create and update system documentation.
• Design and propose fully costed technical solutions and implement them.
• Work collaboratively with and direct hired-in technical and engineering contractors.
• Provide specialist technical support and information to other departments.
• Provide on call out of hours support as needed.
• Other duties as required.
• Educated to degree level or with proven experience in a Broadcast environment, the applicant should be a broadcast or network engineer with relevant experience, and in-depth knowledge of network design and management.
• Experience of working on major sporting events and willing to work flexibly
• Ability to build relationships within and across departments
• Thorough knowledge of current, commonly used compression standards.
• An in-depth knowledge of digital baseband signals, SDI, HD-SDI and ASI for video and PCM, Dolby D and E and its variants for audio signals.
• Knowledge of and experience with SMPTE 2110 and AES 67
• Practical working knowledge of baseband broadcast test and transport stream measurement equipment.
• Practical experience of broadcast facility installation practices and procedures.
• Planning and design of optimal systems and rack layouts for system installations.
• Standard office IT skills – MS Office, MS Visio, MS Project.
• Self-motivation and the ability to advance projects without supervision are essential.
• The ability to deal with multiple workflows and to identify and prioritise their responsibilities in a changing environment.
• The successful candidate will be expected to communicate with and meet a wide variety of people within and outside of the organisation during their career at Discovery & Eurosport; therefore, excellent presentational and communication skills are essential.
• An understanding of the production process and requirements of a sports production team
• Knowledge of workflows and processes in OTT platforms linear and nonlinear.
• Knowledge of satellite distribution and RF up-linking technology and satellite reception systems and technology.
• Previous experience and use of SNMP monitoring systems, such as Skyline’s Dataminer, would be advantageous.
• System drawing skills.
• Knowledge or training in project management, and project management tools.
• A familiarity with current and relevant health and safety regulations and training pertinent to the broadcast environment.
• Fluency in a European language, particularly French would be an advantage