The Director of Production Management is the dedicated point of contact for all productions for Latin America. The role is responsible for the oversight and management of a significant number of productions across multiple networks, working with a variety of producers across the Latin America region. The Director is responsible for protecting the networks’ and Discovery’s bottom line by ensuring that content production is performed to the highest industry standards and delivered according to the agreed editorial ambition.
This role partners with the VP Production & Development, SVP Content and Programming Heads to achieve editorial strategy within operational and financial constraints.
Responsible for running monthly Content Strategy Meetings with VP of Production & Development, including SVP Content, VP Finance, Programming Heads and VP BLA. Sets and issues the agenda and oversees the minutes for these meetings.
Responsible for managing the Latin American production tracker, used at monthly content strategy meetings and by all key departments with up to date financial and production information.
Responsible for keeping all key stakeholders informed and up to date on decisions that need to be made and the status and health of all productions, highlighting key deal points and any areas of risk.
Oversees a team of production managers and coordinators that professionally manage productions from preparation for green light through to delivery using production management skills, knowledge and experience.
Leads the team to be flexible and responsive to the evolving local business specifically where it affects programming, for example working with ad sales clients.
Instil a creative and collaborative culture, sharing cross network best practices across the Production Management Department community.
Reports to VP International Production Management, and is expected to have a considerable level of autonomy and delegated decision-making authority regarding all aspects of Latin American productions , working within Discovery guidelines and frameworks.
Have a thorough understanding of the Latin American business related laws. Be a point person for Ancine fund tracking, allocations and payments. Maintain an up to date spreadsheet for the Finance Department at all times.
1. Ensure production requirements are fully understood by producers in order to review and negotiate viable budget propositions.
2. Accountable for ensuring the price of each production is agreed with the network and that complete delivery is feasible within the proposed timeframe.
3. Advise on financial structure of deal, based on best practices; work with government entities and ad sales clients where necessary.
4. Responsible for identifying and mitigating any risks, and escalating issues at the earliest point.
5. Evaluate safety and risk arrangements to ensure the safe management of productions, and, if necessary, recommend expert advice at the earliest possible stage.
6. Maintain productive communication across clients including Supervising Producers, Scheduling, Marketing, Communications and International along with Corporate Operation counterparts ensuring all relevant deliverables and master delivery date issues are swiftly communicated.
7. Supervise production cash flow to external producers.
8. Conduct on-site visits/ production system evaluation as necessary.
* Approximately 5 years of experience as a Production Manager in film & video production, post-production, budgeting, and project management.
* BS/BA in film and Production or related field or equivalent experience.
* Proven track record as Production Manager from development through delivery.
* Strong knowledge of production logistics, rights issues, talent negotiations and current industry standard practices.
* Support innovation and best practice across production.
* Ability to prioritize resources among multiple concurrent projects.
* Must be proficient with spreadsheet database applications including Excel, Outlook, Microsoft and Word for Windows.
* Build productive relationships with management team, corporate partners and members throughout the organization. Establish rapport and demonstrate sensitivity to the agenda and priorities of others.
* Strong management, communication and interpersonal skills
* Recognize when to consult, seek consensus or make a decision alone.
* Identify opportunities for collaboration and sharing across own group (division).
* Demonstrate motivation and enthusiasm, with a commitment to achieve goals.
* Knowledge of English